'Islamic cell was planning suicide attack in Barcelona'

MADRID: An Islamic militant cell broken up over the weekend in Barcelona was planning a suicide attack targeting the city's public transport network, a Spanish judge said on Wednesday as he ordered 10 suspects jailed pending further investigation and freed two others.

Judge Ismael Moreno, of the National Court, made the announcement after questioning the 12 suspects for seven hours. He said the attacks had been planned for last weekend.

Fourteen suspects were arrested on Saturday although two were released by Spanish authorities on Tuesday. The judge said that of the 10 people he is ordering kept in custody, three were planning to stage a suicide attack.

Spanish authorities have said the original 14 were 12 Pakistanis and two Indians, but it was not known on Wednesday night which four have been released nor the nationality of those sent to jail.

2014 united copts .org
 
Copyright © 2023 United Copts. All Rights Reserved.
Website Maintenance by: WeDevlops.com